Monday, April 13, 2009

Job #2

Yep, I will begin a second job the first of May. Doing what? Developing the childrens ministry at our church.

I think it's quite interesting in how it came about, so I thought I'd share.

Last December I went to an informational meeting for the possible development of a local charter school in our area. I was very excited about that option because 1. it's a publicly funded school (0 tuition), 2. It mandates high parent involvement and another choice for lower income families, and 3. my oldest attended charter schools for K and 1st grades, and was incredibly challenged and did a lot of accelerated learning.

At the end of the meeting, I stood to announce my approval of the idea and my reasons, then signed myself and Ben up to be on the steering committee. We saw a problem with the existing system and decided to help bring change instead of continuing to complain about the status quo. We began to feel a whole new sense of purpose about being a part of something that will benefit 5 counties that would be included, and it felt good.

In the mean time, I began to get frustrated with our church situation. We moved to the middle of nowhere and ended up attending a church in a mainline denomination, (which I don't particularly like, but oh well.) The service is also very rigid, traditional hymns with a couple worship songs that were sung 'as written'. Honestly, it's boring. So if I was bored, I am sure you can imagine two children, 9 & 7 having to endure the hour and 15 minute service, which by most of the gray-hairs were not even welcomed.

Ben and I began to consider visiting other churches (about 45 minutes away). We made it to one and really liked it. It wasn't just us, either. The kids couldn't wait to go back... the next day!

While this was happening, someone we know pretty much challenged us to be a part of changing where we were. A novel idea, we thought, seeing as we've already had a taste of being a part of bringing true change into a not so good situation. Then, the job offer came for the kids ministry.

I informed our friend that I would accept the position as long as I could change a lot of things...
1. The kids will have their own childrens church
2. I get to choose the curriculum
3. The kids will have an active role in ministry to the adults.

I'm pretty excited about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Sounds like a great opportunity for you and the kids...and also for you to get a smack-down by some gray-hairs for shakin' things up :) Watch your back. The North American Gray-Hair is known for it's vigilent protection of territory and it's constant, audible complaint-like nature, however, they are easily pacified with hard candies.

Colleen said...

I think the kids in your town are going to be sooo grateful for you doing this! My kids stay 10 minutes into a normal service and they NEVER want to go back,and its got great music and seems pretty hip to me!