Saturday, March 28, 2009

Lightning...

I woke up this morning at 5. For anyone who knows me, I don't ever wake up at 5. The reason for my interrupted sleep was due to a severe weather. The power went out, therefore my noise maker turned off, therefore I woke up. I was unable to return to sweet slumber because I HATE lightning. Flashbacks of horrible thunderstorms from my childhood flood into my mind, and I get nervous. On top of that, my windows rattle at even the smallest noises, so when lightning strikes, my windows sound as if they will shatter into millions of pieces.

As I lay in bed, with all the ideas of lightning striking the magnolia tree in the front then crashing through the roof to land on my eldest, or a strike hitting the tinderbox of a house that I live in, I began to think about how I will inevitably have to comfort whichever children end up climbing into bed with me because of their own fear. I thought of singing the classic song from The Sound of Music, but realized that 1. I don't sing very well, and 2. I probably wouldn't be able to remember all the words (partly due to lack of sleep, the other part due to the previous mentioned images in my mind.)

Sure enough, the girls came whimpering into my room and climbed into the bed. I said, "It'll be okay, let's just all cover our heads with the blanket." Funny enough, it worked for them. They went right off to sleep and left me to imagine my poor dog getting killed by a tree limb that was blown off the dead pine tree from the neighbors yard, or imagining the sound of a freight train growing increasingly louder, wondering which room in the house would be safest in case of coming tornado.

1 comment:

Sekumsid said...

Just in case we actually do have a tornado, and you and I are unable to communicate... you should go to the hall... the hall is the safest place.