Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Marriage?

My Abigail is quite a delightful girl, full of questions and has numerous things to share with us.  She is four, and is now beginning to be very concerned about who she is going to marry, since her Daddy is already taken. 

A couple weeks ago, she announced that she will marry the man that stands on the street that waves at folks as they drive by all day long.  Yikes.  My initial response was to panic and then try to persuade her that she could not marry anyone that has a court ordered guardian due to is inability to function as an adult.  I managed to compose myself  so that I could find out what the attraction was.  She said he was nice to always wave at people.  So, I left it at that, and decided to wait this 'crush' out. 

This week, I had Abigail with me at work for a few hours.  She enjoys coming with me because it is the only time she is allowed to use markers (we've had too many comforters, walls, furniture, etc., ruined my her artistic pursuits).  She sat, working diligently on her version of a motorcycle, with her back turned to the store.  She heard a very loud, unusual voice greet Olivia and me, which caused Abigail to drop her marker and exclaim, "WHO IS THAT MAN?"  I told her it was the nice man that waves to everyone on the road.  Without missing a beat, she announced, "I don't think I want to marry him anymore." And went back to her doodles.