Saturday, May 16, 2009

$$$

The Dismukes household is beginning a new phase. Hopefully it's not just a phase, but will actually become habit. We are beginning to actually live on a budget that we create at the beginning of each month and designate each dollar to an expense before it is even spent.

Historically, my weakness has been grocery shopping. In all the 12 years of being a family, I have never been able to stick to a set amount each week at the store. I enjoy shopping and spending money, so grocery shopping was where I could 'freely' spend. Needless to say, the actual dollar amount each month was $200 over my budget. "oops." or "I didn't mean to spend that much." were common phrases that easily slipped off my tongue in defense of my over spending.

We are now beginning week 3 of this new budget approach and I am currently $41 under budget. First, I found a great web-site called www.e-mealz.com and every Wednesday I log into my account and print out a 7 day dinner plan, recipes and grocery list included, based on the sale items at Publix. There has been only 1 meal that wasn't a hit. (I discovered my husband and children do not like water chestnuts, and that one ingredient ruined dinner for them.) Secondly, I have made a game of it to see how much under budget I can get... so less trips to the store for a this or that item.

All this has actually been fun, and I am looking forward to not saying "Oops." at the end of this month.

6 comments:

Erin @ Closing Time said...

I love water chesnuts!! This website sounds great...I will have to check it out. I need to work on my grocery budget too!

Sekumsid said...

Here's to hoping it lasts!

SandyBo said...

Gotta try that...How do you manage to cook what is on the menu? Are the recipes simple after work preparation?

Humphrey. said...

Very cool!!!!

Heather said...

The recipe's are very easy. Some are crock pot dinners, which are good for work days. I love that I don't have to put any thought into planning my own meals, but I do pick and choose which days to do what meal. Plus there is always leftovers for lunches, which has helped with the budget too.

Colleen said...

I thought I was the only one! I LOOOVE to grocery shop, for some reason I would rather buy baguettes and big salads than shoes and jewelry, but of course budgeting gets in my way and I end up $40-60 over everytime-DOH!!