Friday, May 29, 2009

Job #2

As you know, my Job #2 is heading up the children's ministry at our church. I began a discipleship curriculum 3 weeks ago, and I feel like I am learning just as much as the kids are.

Our group, Treasures, meets Sunday morning during regular service hours, Sunday night, and Wednesday night. Sunday's are dedicated to the discipleship of the kids, and Wednesday's are dedicated to worship. We will begin having 2 extra activities very soon, one will be just for fun, and the other will be outreach oriented.

After the first night of worship, I asked the children to share with me what they learned, what God's presence felt like, and how their hearts felt during the worship time. Hailey, who is the tiniest 4 year old, told me that her favorite part of the night was laying down during the slower songs. She said it felt like Christmas Eve and that Santa was coming. As soon as this darling shared that, I got so excited... she encountered God! I realize that Christmas Eve is the night of most anticipation in a child's life... the prospect of extraordinary gifts creates much excitement in their hearts. She had that same anticipation, that same excitement, while resting in the presence of the Most High.

Last Sunday, I shared with the kids about communion and why we, as believers, take communion. We talked about the Last Supper and the things that Jesus shared with his disciples. The kids learned that because of Jesus in them, they have the power to heal the sick, cast out demons, and raise the dead. We took communion together to remember the blood sacrifice of our savior, then spent time praying for those that were sick. Several people were prayed for, and I know that for a fact, at least one was instantly healed. My son had been complaining of a horrible sore throat, was unable to swallow, and when looked at, was extremely raw. After receiving prayer, he began to swallow pain free. I jumped up to see his throat, and sure enough, all the redness and swelling was gone.

I am so excited to see these kids begin to walk in the fullness of God's kingdom, and I am thrilled to discover more of I AM than I have ever known.

I'll keep you posted on what comes next!

No comments: