Saturday, May 23, 2009

Rut

We have a nightly routine. I guess it is more adequately called a nightly rut.

My husband is a handy man of sorts... he can handle most projects... hanging sheetrock, crown molding, sun screens, painting, and even furniture building. He, along with my dad, built many pieces of furniture in my house. My son's bed, our TV stand, the dining room table, side tables for bedrooms, and ultimately, my bed.

Years ago, I found a picture of a bed that I loved from a Restoration Hardware magazine. Being as my husband and I were fresh off the mission field in Eastern Europe, we did not have the extra cash laying around to purchase this five thousand dollar bed frame. I showed the picture of this bed to my wood working father and my apprentice husband. Within minutes, both agreed that this bed would be easy to make. I knew the bed wouldn't look exactly like my picture from the very beginning. I had known my dad long enough to know that whatever he decided to do would end in the original on steroids. Shortly after the initial measurements were drawn, the picture that they were given was scrapped. The headboard is close to six feet tall and the foot board measures 4. It is made from solid cherry with delicate accents in tiger maple. It is grand in stature and looks.

In the making of this bed, only one mistake was made. The 2 by 4 slats that hold our box spring and mattress off the floor were cut about a half an inch short, which works nicely, except for when the slats fall. Having 3 kids who use all their might just to climb the height of the bed tends to shake the slats a bit, and a little tossing and turning on my part has ended with half our bed sloping toward the floor. It is especially disruptive when this occurs in the middle of the night, or during other activities that don't need explaining.

So, every night, Ben lays down on the floor on his side of the bed(for some reason, the slats only fall his side), lifts the box spring and mattress, makes a few minor adjustments on the slats, then climbs into bed ever so carefully.

I guess it's just me, but sometimes I think it might be easier to just cut new slats.

2 comments:

SandyBo said...

We had some scrap wood that would make good slats, it was the old floor of the porch. Tongue and groove pine.

Sekumsid said...

Better a little preventive maintenance as a nightly ritual rather than a 36 year old man crashing through the bedframe at 2 in the morning.