Monday, May 18, 2009

Lunch Lady

My kids go to a private school that I don't like very much. Every time I turn around, the kids have a note from school that they need money for this fund raiser, or that t-shirt that is mandatory to have for field trips, or this weeks water slide rental, and all sorts of things. The most frustrating of these notes has to do with the lunch room. I have had many conversations with the lunch lady instructing her that my children my not have or use a charge account for their lunch or snack purchases. We are trying to teach them early on about fiscal responsibility and the evilness of credit and debt. Needless to say, Miss P. has not cooperated with me on this. Last week, I sent money for E to eat lunch, along with an extra dollar for her to purchase a morning snack. That afternoon, my 7 year old informed me that she owes $0.60 on her account. Puzzled about it, I asked her how that happened and she informed me that it was clean out the regrigerator day, so she opted for a salad bar. Being that she is in first grade, and that the items are not priced for the children to figure out how much money they will owe, E was sixty cents short. Instead of helping E find something else for the $2.50 she had, Miss P. charged it to E's account that she is not supposed to have.

Being a passionate person, I dug through my penny jar and bagged up sixty pennies to pay the debt. My son figured out what was going on and told me that the school did not accept pennies. "OH REALLY," I said, "Well you can just tell them that a penny is a form of American currency, so they don't have much of a choice about it!"

At this point, Ben interrupts my diatribe saying, "Don't teach our kids to be so militant." What? You're kidding right? Militant? Not me. No way.

In my defense to Ben, I reply, "Before we were married, and even early on in our marriage, you told me that my passion for life was something you loved about me."

Despite the accusation, I still sent the pennies, and am thinking I might pay my speeding ticket the same way. Just for fun.

4 comments:

SandyBo said...

Is that the same Ms. P that has been there for years? See Blah Blah Blog for explaination! FEAR the change!!!!!!

Erin @ Closing Time said...

Okay, you have SO many interesting stories surrounding lunch. When I saw the title "Lunch Lady" I thought you had written another story about the deli lady at work!!! :)

The school would definitely be hearing from me about that situation!

Sekumsid said...

Does John know that you blog during work hours?

Colleen said...

I once got an actual picture of $215 and some change with a less than positive note for a timeshare payment.It was funny to me, not so funny to the manager.HAHA Good for you!They can't not accept pennies!